3/7/11

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

When you see me again,
You'll ask:
"What was your favorite thing about Louisiana?"

You'll discreetly glance at my extra pounds and think
She'll say "Crabcakes...

...or po boys...
...or crawfish...
or maybe it's the wildlife
or the sunrises
or the bayous

or the swamps
or the beach
or the beads

No,
as much as I have enjoyed all those things,

My very favorite thing has been bald eagle sightings,
I call them sightings instead of watchings,
because they are like the scripture that says
if we cast a glace at riches
 they are gone - spouting wings like eagles
and flying off into the sky. 
(Proverbs 23:5)

By the time I spot an eagle, identify it,
marvel at the way it soars
 it is gone in a matter of seconds.

“But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings as eagles;
they shall run, and not be weary;
and they shall walk, and not faint”
(Isaiah 40:31)

I try to imagaine how big a 90" wing spread is,
or what a 600 pound nest is like.
I think about them soaring on the wind currents
without a single flap.


How would it be to glide effortlessly on
God's grace, mercy, and promises
Then soar above the yuck and the worries of the world.
Oh, how I want to live that way.

I didn't make this picture
But I was there:

The Message Bible says it this way:
"But those who wait upon God get fresh strength.
   They spread their wings and soar like eagles"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...