2/22/11

Fleur de Lis

The word fleur dripped off her southern tongue
like molasses off cornbread.


"Mah little shop has moah fleuuuurs than anyone in town." 
She had fleurs on hats, scarves, necklaces, purses, earrings, wraps, wall hangings and on and on. 


At first I thought the fleur de lis it was just the Saints' symbol.


Then I started to see other kinds of fleurs de lis. 
And I really didn't care much for the design.

 It is incorporated into business logos, on car windows, in the carpet, in the tile, and on  flags. 



 The rental golf carts at the RV Resort have fleurs.
18 wheelers and boats have fleurs.


Louisiana sportsmen have their own version of the fleur.


There are gold fleurs, pink fleurs, zebra fleurs, and leopard fleurs. 



I do believe there are almost as many fleurs in Louisiana
as there are stars in Texas!

I did a little research and found that the fleur de lis was adopted as the state symbol of Louisiana in 2008.

Fleur is french for flower.
Lis means lily.
So, the literal meaning is flower of the lily.

Lillies
As in, "Luke 12:27 Consider the lilies,
 how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; but I tell you,
not even Solomon in all his glory
clothed himself like one of these."

I have to admit - the fleur de lis has grown on me and
I'm bringing home a few fleurs of my own.....










1 comment:

  1. So you don't have many comments and just about the same amount followers as I have but, girl, you have had 2,200 page views. Yee Haw!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...