4/24/12

National Grasslands


The great white hunter and I drove over to the National Grasslands -
one of our favorite places in North Dakota.


Where we went on a Prairie Dog Hunt.

(Prairie Dogs -  burrowing rodents native to the grasslands of North America.  They are named for their habitat and warning call, which sounds similar to a dog's bark. The name was in use at least as early as 1774.The 1804 journals of the Lewis and Clark Expedition note that in September 1804, they "discovered a Village of an animal the French Call the Prairie Dog.".
 -Wikipedia)


As cute as they are, their homes are dangerous to livestock and a nuisance to ranchers. 
Hunters are welcome.

So we walked for miles


and set up camp on a little hill
where he hunted

while I played with my camera.






Then he asked if my camera would zoom out there to that poor unsuspecting little guy
enjoying the sunshine on his front porch.


Yep, there he is.

"Ok, on the count of three, I'll shoot and you snap."


Bet he wondered where all that dust came from!

It was a great day on the prairie.


AND
it appears that
No animals were actually killed or injured in the making
of this blog.

 

1 comment:

  1. I laughed so hard that tears ran down my leg. Or they would have if I had been standing up to read your blog. I just wonder, how many shots (both kind) did it really take?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...