2/13/12

Chocolate Fest

Once upon a time, a long time ago, I won an Interscholastic League writing contest.  My topic was
"Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder".
 I don't have a clue what I wrote about, because I certainly didn't know much about absence OR fondness.  Then I thought it referred to romance.  Now I know it can be applied to any number of things.  Lately, for me - it is all about my family, my home, my home town and my home state.  Being away from them has made them all the more dear to me.

This past weekend I went to a fund raiser for the Scurry County Museum in my home town. 
The event was the Chocolate Fest


where chocolate is supposedly paired with the perfect wine. 


 Now that I think about it, I didn't hear one person comment on
 which wine was best with which chocolate.


I'm not a wine drinker for a lot of reasons
(mostly because I don't like it),
but once in the grocery store I was handed a sample of
Woodbridge Moscato
and bought a bottle.
It was so sweet and fruity, I could have downed it like kool-aid.
But I can't and don't because it might start to look like this picture:


a little fuzzy.
My friend, Pat, once watched me eat chocolate and said,
"it's a good thing you don't drink,
because you would probably be a
slush."
A Slush?

So for this event I kept one hand on the camera
and the other in the chocolate plate,
which is also not good.


The event was held at the Manhattan Coffee House
on Snyder's historic town square.
Marianne owns the place and is the perfect hostess


She left Snyder decades ago for a life of adventure.
She has been everywhere and done everything, but came back home
to develop some of her property into something
that would enhance our community.
She has been inspiring us to be better
for about 10 years.

is a bed and breakfast and great meeting place.

The Big Apple Deli is next to the Manhattan and its proprietor is
Bill, Marianne's son.

Our mayor, the honorable Terry Martin, was a server at the event


His beautiful first lady, Martha,  has been my friend for a long time.
  She is on the museum board and,
I just learned,

 
And speaking of flying,
John is also a board member and also served as bartender.
He is retired from an oil company
and is a respected pilot.


Mrs. Tune
(Isn't that just the perfect name for a piano teacher?)
provided  the music for the evening.

Nathalie, my good friend and talented artist,
 painted the evening away


 and donated the finished canvas to the fundraiser.
That's a wine glass on a weathered cedar fence post.


Kathy and I laughed about the junior high cheerleader outfit
 she passed on to me
and how we were both the worst cheerleaders ever.
 
 

She has recently opened a restaurant,
The Happy Texan,
and is living her dream.

Amy was one of Heather's friends.
She still looks the way they both looked
15 years ago.
She is now a wife, mother and teacher.
 
 
 
DeVelva, a sweet cousin,
is a hairdresser and always beautiful.
It was so good to see her.
I guess that was the best part of the
Chocolate Fest -
reconnecting.

And speaking of cousins,
Lisa was there too.
I have loved her since she was such a little thing.
How can she be a mom to three teens with another surprise on the way?


For my blood relatives that may be reading this blog in confusion,
Both of these gals are cousins by marriage
but they both introduce me as
their cousins.
They make me proud!
 
 
 
It was just a lovely, lovely evening back in my home town.


 Maybe absence does make the heart grow fonder.


1 comment:

  1. Oh my, my! What a wonderful wrap up of the evening. It is so cool to see the world thru your eyes and heart. You are such a good friend and you make each one of us (your friends)feel like we are number one on your speed dial. And I may need to paint the rose.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...