10/23/13

Throwing Stones


Taking a museum break,
I found a small secluded courtyard where 
I could rest my aching feet.

I put my feet up in a chair 
and settled my mind to the rhythm
of a waterfall pouring onto rocks.

There was a little sign nestled in the rocks.
I had to get up and walk a few steps to read it.

It said:

FOR YOUR SAFETY
PLEASE DO NOT
THROW STONES


At first I thought it was a little strange.

Then I wondered how my throwing stones
could be unsafe for ME.

FOR YOUR SAFETY
PLEASE DO NOT
THROW STONES??

The more I thought about it, 
the more I thought about it.

Then I remembered the story of the woman caught in adultery 
being brought to Jesus for her punishment.

He said to her accusers,
"Let any one of you,
who is without sin,
throw the first stone."
(John 8:7)

ouch.

He also said,
"Do not judge
or you, too will be judged"
(Matthew 7:1)

ouch.

Everybody knows that us church ladies
can polish our pretty little stones
and rename them
prayer requests
and 
concerns
and 
helpful comments
and 
how they should have done it.


But it is still stone throwing
and it's still judging.

OUCH

"For in the same way you judge others,
you will be judged.  
and with the measure you use, 
it will be measured to you."
(Matthew 7:2)

OUCH!!


I guess it is true.

Throwing stones 
IS
hazardous to my own safety.

1 comment:

  1. That is way cool, girlfriend!!! You sure can preach a big message using just a few words and a few awesome photos!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...